UPDATED: February 4, 2020
Information We Collect About You
Pricespider collects several types of information from and about users of our Services:
The Where To Buy Services
- Pricespider uses and stores the IP address of each end-user, like yourself, to determine statistics such as the end-users approximate location, how many pages were viewed by the end-user, the products, retailers and stores viewed by that end-user, and how long a page was viewed before viewing other pages. To do this – when an end-user like yourself, visits a manufacturer/brand website through our Services, and wants to buy a product from that brand/manufacturer – as soon as the end-user views or clicks into the Where To Buy (“WTB”) widget (hosted by Pricespider) – Pricespider identifies the IP address that viewed the WTB and immediately assigns a unique identification number (“Unique ID”) number to the IP address. The Unique ID is a distinct number that is used to track the behavior of each end user as they click through the WTB widget that is embedded on a brand/manufacturer’s website. Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and the General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”) – an individual’s IP address is regarded as “personal information” – and as a result Pricespider has an obligation to make you aware that we do use your IP address to generate the Unique ID, and that we do store your IP address on our systems.
- Pricespider aggregates all of the data associated with all of the Unique ID’s generated by Pricespider. The aggregated data allows Pricespider’s customers (i.e. brands and manufacturers) – to see what products or types of products (categories) that end-users ultimately ended up purchasing through the WTB widget, and to see what other retailers and stores that were browsed (i.e. “Category Data”). The Category Data does not disclose the IP addresses associated with the Unique ID’s that were used to generate the Category Data – but instead – the Category Data is high-level aggregated data that allows Pricespider’s customers to learn more about the purchasing decisions of groups of end-users that clicked through the WTB widget. Because Pricespider makes the Category Data available to its customers – under a conservative interpretation of CCPA – Pricespider would arguably “sell” personal information that it collects from end-users. As a result, Pricespider has an obligation to make you aware of this.
- The Location Cookie. Pricespider uses a location cookie to personalize and enhance your user experience while using the Services. For example, if you are using the WTB, and find a product that you wish to purchase at a brick-and-mortar retailer, Pricespider uses the “Location Cookie” to store information about retailers located nearby that carry the products that you are interested in purchasing. Disabling the Location Cookie will cause you to have to re-enter your location (i.e. zip code) when prompted by the Service, in order to locate stores that carry a desired product (see Cookies below for more information) – however disabling the Location Cookie will not materially impact your ability to use the Services.
- PROWL (a Pricespider Service) offers/utilizes a browser extension application that can help Pricespider search and find public information on products sold by online retailers. In order to use the browser extension, customers must sign into PROWL. When a signed-in user uses the extension service, Pricespider give the option for the user to collect, process and store information from the websites they visit within the PROWL framework, such as page url, product pricing, product quantities and availability. Pricespider does not share information about a user’s research activity with any third party unless required by law. Users of the browser extension may deactivate the browser extension feature at any time by removing it from the extension settings in their browser.
- Information About Your Equipment, and Usage Details. Pricespider stores your user-agent string, and the page that you entered the site with (known as the referrer). The user-agent allows Pricespider to determine each end-user’s browser type, operating system, and basic system configuration information. The referrer information may allow Pricespider to determine pages and files viewed by the end-user and searches performed. This information is used to analyze overall trends, to help Pricespider provide and improve our Services.
- Web Beacons. Pages of Pricespider.com, orisintel.com, and any emails that Pricespider may send to you may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit Pricespider, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email, and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Google Analytics / Adobe IDs. Google Analytics and/or Adobe may collect information regarding your use of other websites, apps and online resources. Additionally, Pricespider collects and stores your Google Analytics and/or Adobe ID’s, and in certain instances makes such data available to its customers. Both Google and Adobe provide a downloadable browser add-on for exercising your opt-out rights regarding Google Analytics.
- Voluntarily Provided Information. Pricespider collects and stores information that you directly provide to Pricespider via fillable forms or text boxes, such as a user ID and password, information contained on a resume, or training, webinar or event registration (i.e. name, address, business address, telephone number, email address).
How We Collect This Information
Pricespider collects information from end-users and third parties as follows:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us (through physically inputting your name or email address into an online webform).
- Automatically as you navigate through the websites associated with the Services. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies as detailed in the Information We Collect About You section above. We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
- From third parties, for example, our business partners as detailed in this Notice.
How We Use Your Information
Pricespider uses information that we collect about you or that you provide to us:
- To present our website and Services and its contents to you so that you can determine where to quickly and easily purchase products at a low cost.
- To provide brands and manufacturers with high-level aggregated data (the Category Data discussed above) so that the brands and manufacturers can learn more about the purchasing decisions of groups of end-users that clicked through the WTB widget.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep any information that we disclose to them confidential – and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Pricespiders’ assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Pricespider about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have consented to/not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the information you provide to us directly, or automatically by virtue of using the Services. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Tracking Technologies. If you do not want us to track your online behaviors through our website and Services, you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to datapolicy@Pricespider.com, or by calling (888) 959-9757.
- Disclosure of Your Information to Brands and Manufacturers. If you do not want us to share data/analytics related to your Unique ID (including via inclusion in our Category Data) with our customers (i.e. brands and manufacturers), you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to datapolicy@Pricespider.com, or by calling (888) 959-9757.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your choice regarding information collection and disclosure at any time by emailing us at datapolicy@Pricespider.com or calling (888) 959-9757. Further, you may request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit Notice to California Residents.
Most web browsers allow you to erase cookies on your computer, disable cookies from your computer, or notify you when a cookie is stored on your computer. If you choose to disable or block certain cookies or pixel tags, you may experience decreased functionality for certain Services. Remember to set your cookie preferences for each browser and each device that you use to access the Services or Sites by accessing these setting, usually located within the “Help,” “Tools” or “Edit” menus in your browser.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on an end-users device to monitor how the end-user interacts with websites and other online services. Pixel tags, also called web beacons or single-pixel gifs, tag a graphic on a web page or in an email message that tracks pages viewed or email messages opened. Logs are continuous digital records of events and interactions that occur on a website. Cookies, pixel tags, and/or logs can be used to identify your IP address, browser type, domain name, and specific web pages through which you click and/or email messages you open.
What type of cookies does Pricespider use?
There are different ways that we describe types of cookies and why we use them. They can be described by who created and placed them, how they function, and how long they last. The primary types of cookies used by Pricespider in connection with the Sites and Services are the Location Cookie (detailed above), and the Analytics Cookie (which helps Pricespider track end-user behaviors as they use the Services).
How you can manage cookies
There are several other services available that can assist you with managing your cookie preferences, including browser settings and plug-ins, industry groups and standards associations, and tools provided by the cookie providers and social media sites. www.allaboutcookies.org is a site that offers more information on ways to manage and block cookies.
The Sites nor Services are directed to, nor intended to be used by, individuals under the age of 13, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction. Pricespider does not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under the age of 13, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction. If you become aware that an individual under the age of 13, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, has provided Pricespider with personal information, please contact us immediately at datapolicy@Pricespider.com. If we become aware that an individual under the age of 13, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information.
If you apply for a job at Pricespider, we collect and use your personal data for legitimate human resources and business management reasons including:
- identifying and evaluating candidates for employment, as well as for future roles that may become available.
- recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring.
- ensuring compliance with legal requirements, including diversity and inclusion requirements and practices.
- conducting criminal history checks as permitted by applicable law.
- protecting our legal rights to the extent authorized or permitted by law.
- emergency situations where the health or safety of one or more individuals may be endangered.
Your personal information may be accessed by recruiters and interviewers working in the country where the position for which you are applying is based, as well as by recruiters and interviewers working in different countries. Pricespider uses third party service providers to provide recruiting software systems. We also share your personal data with other third party service providers that may assist us in recruiting talent, administering and evaluating pre-employment screening and testing, and improving our recruiting practices.
datapolicy@Pricespider.com, or call (888) 959-9757.